Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chris Grant: "(Albany Legends) Told Me They Didn't Need My Services"

(Photo Courtesy: The Record - troyrecord.com)
Back in March on opening night this season, the Albany Legends debuted an all-new squad, with only three returning players from the season before (Gallup, Mayben, & Morton) and no players from the 2010 title team (Lloyd Johnson returned to the team later). I didn't know what to expect from this team without the core of players that led Albany to IBL championship glory just two years earlier.

Fast-forward two months, I had a very interesting conversation yesterday with former Albany Legends player Chris Grant. I commented on one of his pictures and casually suggested that he should come back to the Legends. I said in the comment, "Come back to the Legends, we could use you up in Albany!"

Grant and I then exchanged a few messages that I'm very grateful he is letting me disclose. Here's what he told me:

"I wanted to come back. They (asked me several times) to come to the tryout and I did, then they hit me with the head fake and told me they didn't need my services."

"Like I said I wish the legends nothing but the best and I wish things would have turned out different but thats the nature of the business."

"So no more Albany for me."

If you don't remember Chris Grant, he played for the Legends in 2010 and 2011. He was a key player on their inaugural squad led by Kenny Satterfield and Gordon Klaiber that won the IBL Championship. He was a multidimensional player who couldn't be labeled as a scorer, a distributor, a rebounder, or a defender. He did everything and utilized himself well. He wasn't the best Legends player ever, but (in my opinion) he was their most versatile player. He could play point guard, shooting guard, and small forward well. Here are some highlights of Chris Grant when he was with the Legends:



It would be one thing if the Legends had a lot more talent this season, but no. No offense to any of the following players, but Grant is better than T.J. Czeski and Guy Dupuy. He was a glue guy who went out to help the team and never played for stats.

It would be another thing if the Legends did this with someone like Charles Henson (if you actually remember him, then good for you - I don't remember ever seeing him without his warmups on, but I digress), but Grant was a good player who would help the team. Sure, the Legends went 7-0 without him to start the season, but they could be 10-0 right now instead of 8-2 if he was still on the team.

Maybe there is more to this story that I don't know about, but I think the Legends made a bad decision to leave Grant in the dust. This is right up there with the Legends waiving Toby Smith back in 2010 (I'm never gonna let that one go).

Hopefully this isn't the same reason that Lloyd Clinton, Scott McRae, Damone Morris, and Deandre Thomas aren't on the team this season.

Have any thoughts on Chris Grant's comments on his departure from the Albany Legends? Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment