Sunday, June 24, 2012

IBA: Legends Lose in Championship to Soldiers 150-116 in Blowout

(Photo Courtesy: Kankakee County Soldiers - Facebook)
The Albany Legends lost today to the Kankakee County Soldiers 150-116 in the 2012 IBA Spring Championship. It was a blowout loss as the Legends struggled and the Soldiers dominated.

A play-by-play recap of this game isn't necessary. I listened to the game live and the Soldiers just kept developing their lead after gaining an early advantage in the first quarter. The Soldiers led 39-26 at the end of the first quarter. They developed their lead even more in the second period and led 70-51 at the half. The Soldiers pulled ahead even more in the third quarter and led 110-83 at the start of the fourth. The Soldiers didn't let up in the final quarter and won 150-116. The Soldiers won every quarter of the game and are now the back-to-back champions of the IBA.

I feel that breaking down the keys to the game would be pessimistic and obvious. To sum it up quickly, the Legends struggled, missed a lot of shots, gave up offensive rebounds, turned the ball over, and didn't play a good game.

Also, the championship was the 6th game in 7 days for the Legends. I think their chances against the Soldiers would have been higher if the players had been better rested.

Player of the Game: Tie between Ryan Edwards (33 points, 10 rebounds) and Stan Chismark (34 points)

Lloyd Johnson led the Legends with 31 points in the losing effort. Josh Jones finished with 19 points and E.J. Gallup had 16 points. Brian Hanuschak scored 13 points and Zach Bye scored 10 in the loss.

Though their season ended in a somewhat embarrassing fashion, Legends fans and players should keep their heads up, and here's why:

-They made it to the championship. That's something to be proud of, especially since they got there without Tadre Sheppard and Tiki Mayben.

-Lloyd Johnson had a breakout season and emerged as one of the best players in the IBA and the leader of the team.

-The future is bright. The Legends had a bunch of rookies on their roster this season (T.J. Czeski, Zach Bye, Brian Hanuschak, Shea Bromirski, and Kyle Downey). If they're on the team next season, they should only get better. Though E.J. Gallup is getting older as he progresses into his 30's, shooting is the main facet of his game and that usually isn't worsened with age. I think the Legends will be better next season and will be championship contenders if their roster isn't shaken up in a bad way.

-The Legends have had a winning record and have made the playoffs in every season since their establishment, so even if the team becomes worse next season, we should still be good.

-The Albany Legends recently announced that John Coffino has signed a one-year contract with the team and will return next season as head coach. I think this is a good move. Coffino did his best at coaching the Legends while being their 3rd coach in the 2012 season alone. I like Coffino. I think he's a pretty chill dude and a good coach too. I think that part of the reason that the Legends came up short was because Coffino had never coached in the IBA before and had to adjust to the speed and different rules of the league. That being said, I think this move gives the team some more stability which I think will be good for next season.

Source(s): Matt Schulz

Have any thoughts on the Legends losing in the championship to the Soldiers? Were you there? Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Am I your source? If there is a Brian Schulz thats ok but my name is matt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, I'm not sure why I said your name was Brian. I corrected it. I saw your article-posts you did on the Albany Legends Facebook wall and used the info in my article, so I figured I should list you as a source. Hope you don't mind.

      Delete
  2. That's what it's there for. No problem... and I just was curious if there was a Brian Schulz haha

    ReplyDelete