Sunday, April 1, 2012

IBA: Sheppard's 25 Helps Legends Sweep Knights

The Albany Legends have completed a sweep of the Battle Creek Knights behind Tadre Sheppard's 25 points and won 113-93. The Legends improve to 2-0 while the Knights are now 0-3.

I wasn't at this game because I was too busy helping my rec basketball team win a playoff game and advance to the championship, which will take place later today (I digress).

However, stats don't lie. Sheppard led all scorers with 25 points off of 9-11 field goals. He now averages 24 points per game and is shooting 62.5% from the field in his first two games with the Legends. Can he keep this level of play up? I don't know, but it is clear that he will be a go-to guy and will continue to play a major role on the team.

Zach Bye scored 11 points and grabbed a team-high 12 rebounds. He doesn't seem like the type to grab 12 rebounds, but I think that he is doing a great job this season. Bye is trying his best, shooting at a good field goal percentage, and is obviously exerting a lot of effort on the boards.

Scott Morton is a great role player. He led the Legends with 5 assists yesterday, scored 4 points, and shot 100 percent from the field. I imagine that he would be a shoe-in starter if Sheppard or Tribbett got injured.

Emanuel Mayben scored 22 points and made 10-of-19 field goals in the win. I like Mayben and I think that he will continue to do a great job as floor general for the Legends this season.

Kenny Tribbett played a good game and scored 16 points. He shot 6-for-12 from the field and made 4 out of 4 free throws.

Josh Jones and Marcus Snipes struggled last night. They both shot under 34 percent from the field and combined for only 11 points. They both played well in the first game, so I'm not sure why they didn't play as well yesterday.

E.J. Gallup scored 16 points, shot 7-for-15 from the field, and made two 3-pointers. That's about an average game for him.

Guy Dupuy was a non-factor and scored only 2 points. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that his only basket was a dunk.

T.J. Czeski scored 6 points off of 3-of-5 shooting. I still think that he will be a good second-string point guard for the Legends behind Mayben.

Kyle Downey still has yet to play for the Legends and I don't think Will Pratt is on the team anymore.

Player of the Game: Tadre Sheppard. He led the Legends in scoring in both games and was played a large role in sweeping the Knights.

Since I wasn't at yesterday's game, I didn't film any clips or take any pictures, but I can show you a highlight from the Legends' game on Friday. In it, Tadre Sheppard grabs an offensive rebound off of a missed 3-pointer by E.J. Gallup and lays it in for 2 points. Enjoy!



The Legends (2-0) next play a three-game series at home against the Lansing Capitals (2-1) from April 13-15. I will miss the first game of the series because I will be at Madison Square Garden seeing the Knicks play the Wizards, but I should be at the other two games.

Sources:
http://ucasports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=190&path=mbball
http://www.albany.com/byesline/2012/03/albany-legends.html
http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Legends-win-again-3450350.php

Have any thoughts on the Legends sweeping the Knights and improving to 2-0? Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.

4 comments:

  1. probably should hold off writing abut a game unti you see it. secondly, zach bye doesnt strike u as a rebounder? You have to know who you're talking about. 1 of the all time rebound leaders in hvcc history in just 1 season and has single game records as well (btw saw he had 8 boards in 19 minutes on friday...do a per48 minutes stat with that one). Also, I was at the game saturday and Guy's 2 points came on a layup/And1 and he missed FT. Will Pratt was released earlier in the week. And Scotty Morton did in fact start the second half for Jones who didnt play much (thats why his numbers sucked). Need anything else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bye doesn't strike me as a rebounder because he is a 6-4 guard. Also, I was "guessing" that Dupuy's only basket was a dunk (Which I think was a good guess because of his history with dunking). When I mentioned the possibility of Morton starting, I meant the game, not the half. I pretty much assumed that Pratt had been released, but I wasn't sure because I couldn't find any info on his status with the team. I appreciate the information on Zach Bye, I guess I didn't study up on him enough (I couldn't find out a lot about him online). Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  2. good work kid...looking forward to more legends updates. Ive been at all 3 games, its sloppy somtimes but entertaining. mayben was out of control this last game, he may be butting heads with players or coaches already. i dindt see scott morton this weekend is he done? Kyle downey doesnt play as much as i thought he would either, and u gotta give it to bye the kid does rebound for a guard, i see what u ment tho b4. Poo is def the best player out there and i dont care what tiki used to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Kyle Downey is replacing Scott Morton on the roster. He's wearing the same jersey Morton did. Tiki Mayben does seem to be not getting along with the refs this season. And who is "poo"?

      Delete