Sunday, September 18, 2011

BBall Book Review: Bad As I Wanna Be by Dennis Rodman

I recently finished Dennis Rodman's first book, Bad As I Wanna Be. It was published in 1996 and was written with Tim Keown.

I liked this book. It consisted of 323 pages of Rodman's uncut and uncensored thoughts, feelings, and experiences. He does not hold back anything.

He goes into great detail when talking about his relationship with Madonna. He writes about the circumstances of their first hook-up and reveals some things that she probably wouldn't want in print.

He also has a whole chapter called, "Man on Man." The majority of the article consists of him talking about his sexuality. Here are some memorable quotes from that chapter:
-"I've decided I really want to be gay"
-"I can't say I haven't experimented with other men"
-"Mentally, I probably am bisexual"
-"I fantasize about being with another man"

He also doesn't hold back his opinions of other players. Here are some highlights:
-"Is Glenn Robinson worth $9 million a year? I DON'T THINK SO"
-"Chris Webber? 68 million? I DON'T THINK SO"
-"I see Chris Dudley, Derrick Coleman, Dale Davis, and Anthony Mason making huge money, and I see injustice. Who buys a ticket to see those guys play?"
-"Grant Hill: the next god of basketball? Pathetic."

Rodman also portrays the Spurs harshly:
-"I'll ask Chuck Person: Did you show up? Could you hit a shot in the playoffs? No, you didn't show up, and you couldn't hit a shot. So shut up."
-"Those guys in San Antonio can kiss my ass, especially (Greg) Popovich"

This book is 100 percent real. He doesn't feed the reader anything fake, which is a plus. Though sometimes, he rambles on a little too much about how David Stern has a bias against him, his complex thoughts on his sexuality, and other stuff.

But after finishing Bad As I Wanna Be, I felt like I'd been inside the mind of Rodman and had gotten to know him better as a player and as a person.

I give this book 4 stars out of 5.

Have any thoughts on Dennis Rodman or his book? Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment